March 6, 2009

Caramel Apple Cupcakes & Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcakes

I figured no one else would want birthday cake on Sausage Boy's first birthday after he was done with it, so I made cupcakes for everyone else. I made chocolate cupcakes and created a peanut butter frosting for them.  Then I made apple cupcakes and piped a caramel frosting on top. They were incredible!
The chocolate peanut butter cupcakes recipe was from Epicurious.  Course you could use a box mix for the chocolate cupcake and then just make the frosting.
The apple cupcake were my own creation.  I started with a vanilla cake mix and added 2 c of peeled and diced apples before baking. They were so moist! I'm sure you could use applesauce too. The caramel frosting is a time consuming recipe but REALLY REALLY delicious. Perfect for a special occasion.

Caramel Frosting
1 lb light brown sugar
1 c heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 c butter
In a medium, heavy saucepan, bring the sugar and cream to a rolling boil. Boil one minute. Add soda, and boil one more minute. Remove from heat. Add butter, but do not stir yet. Let the mixture cool (really you could make it the night before and put it in the fridge). The mix must be cool as this is the key to getting frosting and not caramel glaze. Beat well...forever. Okay, not forever, but close to it. I think it took me about 6 minutes, so if you have a stand mixer, that would be the way to go.

1 comment:

  1. I love caramel apples. I love cupcakes. so yes, caramel apple cupcakes, would be heaven for me!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!! Write more, write often. I will respond to each of them either here or on your blog (if you have one). Thank you for spending time with me - come back soon and share the love on pinterest, facebook, twitter or however you social network.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...